Thursday, January 5, 2012

Snowman Similes

Well...we made the snowmen that I wrote about in yesterday's post! But I changed it a little {basically, at 4 AM I was lying in bed and thought..."this should be snowman similes!!! and I'll use the Crazy Like A Fox book!" I was so excited... like I was the first person to ever think of this [please!]}...here's what we did.
First we read Crazy Like A Fox
  This is the BEST book for teaching
similes!!
Then we read Snowmen At Night ...they loved this book!!

Next, we made an anchor chart...not really.... I did it on the board but it should have been and anchor chart {oh well}. We listed four adjectives describing a snowman. I probably should have tied everything in better with the book, and I was actually going in that direction, but I was sensing I was loosing them with all the simile talk and snowmen playing baseball ect. so I backed off and kept it simple.
Then we wrote out our similes. This writing was pretty guided because it was their first encounter with similes. I had them first pick their favorite adjective, then pick their favorite simile to go with the adjective. Finally, we drew the snowmen. THEY LOVED IT, and for the rest of the day everyone spoke in similes!! So, all in all..... we were as silly as a snowman!! HA!


3 comments:

Heather's Heart said...

This is great for talking about adjectives! Thank you for sharing the idea! I just found your blog and am your newest follower! I would love for you to ocme visit me! I have LOTS and LOTS of penguin and snowmen *freebies*!

Heather
Heather'sHeart

Kim said...

Heather..thank you for the comment!! I love your blog! I just went there, became a follower and downloaded some freebies!!

Sarah said...
This comment has been removed by the author.